Monday 7 July 2008

Reaching 31

Okay, so I'm not really very old, I don't really feel very old. I guess I just don't feel like I'm in the right society, or at least I'd rather people didn't judge others so much.

I had a lovely quiet birthday yesterday, watched a lovely (not always lovely, sometimes extremely uncomfortable) film, you may have seen it, Pan's Labyrinth. If you've not seen it, I highly recommend it. Its a fairy tale of sorts, but I wouldn't let your little ones watch it. They'll not sleep for weeks!

Other than that I just stayed home, looked after my ill husband and did a bit of housework. Not your typical birthday, granted, but its what I chose to do for mine. I could tell in people's eyes that they thought I was a bit weird for not wanting to go down the pub to 'celebrate'. In my mind, I'd probably have more fun by just taking my £50-odd quid (or whatever the bar bill would be) and making paper aeroplanes out of the notes, and just chucking them off the aqueduct at Chirk.

I really don't get off on going out drinking to 'celebrate' an occasion any more. I don't begrudge the activity if that's what people want to do, but money's tight these days and I do just see it as a waste of money, plus you lose a day or so after because you feel so rotten. Okay, so when I was 21 I could do that every night and not really feel the effects the way I would these days. I have to say as well that I think drinking brings out the worst in people and accounts for a huge proportion of the workload of Accident & Emergency departments countrywide. I've experienced that first hand and its not at all a pretty sight. Why would anybody want to do that to themselves?

So I'm a killjoy old fuddy-duddy huh? Well not quite.

We've just come back from a 2-week tour of Europe (we did 6 countries, not including England) on a motorbike. That's the kind of thing I like to keep my money for.

Also, a couple of weeks before we went I finally passed by own bike test, so can now ride bigger bikes, although 500cc will be plenty enough for me while I'm still new to it!

Don't want to jinx it by saying too much, but it looks like I've got a bike sorted now, so I still have lots of summer months to make the most of my new skill, and it means me and hubby (when he's feeling better) can go riding round Mr Brunstrom's backyard each on our own bikes, so he doesn't have to watch his riding so much because I'm on the back - he can have a bit more fun. And so can I! Because I can assure anybody who's as yet unconvinced, that its much, much more fun, more comfortable and a generally better experience to ride your own bike rather than to sit on the back of somebody else's.

Next weekend we're all meeting up with the Aprilia boys in Peterborough for the annual ClubAprilia day. Hubby has an Aprilia Futura - the most magnificent bike in the known universe. Maybe I could work up to riding one of those one day? Who knows.

Ramble over :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Fifi

Belated happy birthday from your new swap buddy Wendy. I'll read through your archives when I get back from my hols - though I doubt it'll be as exciting as travelling round Europe!! I'm more picturing peace, tranquility, wine, sunshine, outdoor markets and happy children!

Take care.

Wendy

RosieB said...

belated Happy Birthday for 6th!

Just thought I'd pop over from Rhonda Jean's place to prove that some one reads your blog, and look, I'm second!!!

I started out on an anti- consumerism journey about 18 months ago. I decided not to buy anything new unless I had to - obvious exceptions are underwear and socks! I've had some really good bargains from ebay including a lovely padded jacket which arrived a few days ago, immaculate condition and very good quality - cost me £5 incl p&p! trouble is I'm losing weight and I think its already too big for me ...

btw I love the long-haired Time Team-er too, Phil? he's such a lovely character

take care :)